MI horse racing betting sites
Horse racing sports betting in Michigan has been legal for nearly 100 years and is now easier than ever thanks to online betting sites.
If you’re here, we’re assuming you want to try out the top MI horse racing betting sites for yourselves.
This page covers local horse racing betting regulations, the best horse racing betting sites in MI, and where you can bet in person.
|Sportsbook Logo||Odds rating||Bonus||Go to sportsbook Button||Show more||T&C|
|1 TVG WV sportsbook review||78/100 Expert rating by Melanie H. 0% Playscore based on 0 critics||
|2 NYRA Bets MI sportsbook review||76/100 Expert rating by Ian Z. 0% Playscore based on 0 critics||
100% deposit match up to $200
|3 TwinSpires racing WV sportsbook review||74/100 Expert rating by Melanie H. 0% Playscore based on 0 critics||
Best online horse betting sites in MI — A closer look
If you’re interested in betting on horse racing in Michigan, we’ve got you covered. Our experts have broken down the best online horse betting Michigan sites with the state in mind. The list is curated for the sites that offer the most for Michigan bettors, including bonuses and coverage of local races, a state-specific app, and more. Below, we detail the strongest operators, highlighting the features that got them to the top of the list.
This doesn’t cover regular Michigan online sports betting, which has its own dedicated page.
TVG has been a huge part of sports betting in the US since 1994 when it launched as a horse racing TV channel. Since then, the brand was acquired by Flutter Entertainment and created an online horse racing betting site.
Those TV links are still strong, and you can watch live streams of dozens of events daily while betting. In addition, TVG offers all players access to its blog, which provides tips for races from respected experts.
TwinSpires is partnered with one of the most trusted and experienced names in US horse racing, Churchill Downs. Michigan players can use TwinSpires on its desktop site or download apps for iOS and Android. TwinSpires allows players to make free play bets like trifectas with a chance to win massive prizes.
In addition, you will also automatically join the sitewide leaderboard if you bet and win on selected events. Players near the top of the leaderboard can claim big prizes. If you want to get ahead with your horse racing betting, you can use TwinSpires’ free TwinSpires Edge site, which provides horse racing news and tips.
NYRA Bets MI
While the New York Racing Association may own NYRA Bets, it has plenty to offer players in Michigan. The online horse racing betting site provides live streaming, regular bonuses, and excellent customer support for everyone who signs up. You can also benefit by competing in its contests, which offer prizes to the most successful bettors on top events. In addition, you get exclusive access to Fox Sports’ America’s Day at the Races TV show through NYRA Bets.
Where to bet on horses? MI’s horse racetracks
Currently, there is only one horse racing track open in Michigan, Northville Downs. At the peak of horse racing’s popularity, MI had up to nine horse racing tracks open simultaneously. However, these tracks have closed over the years, with the most recent loss being Hazel Park in 2018.
You can visit Northville Downs to place pari-mutuel bets on live races or place simulcast wagers using local terminals. However, you can’t bet on live races across the US and the world like with Michigan online horse betting sites.
As well as having only one horse racing track, there are no off-track betting locations in Michigan. Unless you live near Northville Downs, signing up with one of the horse racing betting sites on this page is the most convenient way to place wagers.
Horse betting Michigan: Beginners’ guide
You can sign up with an online horse racing betting site within minutes, even if you are a total beginner. Follow our step-by-step guide to get started:
- Navigate to one of the best online horse racing betting sites in MI.
- Select the “Register” or “Sign Up” option.
- Enter your name, address, date of birth, and other personal information. You may also need to provide the last four digits of your Social Security number. Info-gathering is a legal requirement to protect from underage gambling and fraud.
- Create a username and password for your new horse betting Michigan account.
- Agree to the terms and conditions to complete your sign-up.
- Visit the cashier section to add money to your account. You can choose your preferred payment method and how much money to add. You may need to meet a minimum deposit amount if you are claiming a welcome bonus.
- Browse the horse betting MI site to find a race. Many bet types are available, including wins, doubles, shows, exactas, and trifectas.
- Select a wager and add it to your bet slip. Choose how much to stake and confirm your bet.
- If your bet wins, return to the cashier section for instructions on withdrawing.
Best online horse betting in MI — Recommended bets
There are dozens of different bets you can place on horse racing events using betting sites in Michigan. While some of these bet types may seem confusing at first, our guides below can help you get to grips with the best online horse betting in MI.
- Win: A win is the most basic bet you can place at pari-mutuel horse racing betting sites. All you need to do is pick a horse to win a race and collect a payout if you are correct.
- Place: Rather than picking a horse to win a race, you only need to select a horse that finishes first or second.
- Quinella: With a quinella bet, you need to pick two horses to finish in first and second. However, you don’t need to pick an exact order with your selections.
- Exacta: You need to pick to horses to finish in first and second place, and you need to predict the order correctly: which horse will finish first and which second.
- Show: Very similar to a place bet, except your chosen horse can finish in first, second, or third for you to win your bet.
- Trifecta: A trifecta bet is the same as an exacta, except you need to project the places of three horses in an event successfully.
- Daily Double: You need to choose horses to win in two consecutive events. This is like an accumulator bet, where if one leg lets you down, you lose. However, you’ll get better odds because of the added risk.
- Daily Triple: A daily triple is the same as a daily double but with three consecutive races rather than two.
- Pick Six: A pick six is a special bet where you must predict the winners of six consecutive races. Many horse racing bets will select the races for your pick six bets, but you may be able to build your own.
Horse racing sports betting Michigan: popular events
While other US states will have a specific horse racing event which draws the most attention, Michigan does not. Instead, Northville Downs operates races every Friday and Saturday from April until September. The Michigan Gaming Control Board decides how many races the course can hold each year. For example, in 2022, there were 62 races at the racetrack.
Located at the Churchill dones in Louisville, Kentucky, the 1.25 mile race was shortened down from 1.5 miles in 1896. In its entire history, from its inauguration in 1875, it’s run every single year with no interruption, making it one of only four races to do so. It’s a left-handed track run by three-year-old thoroughbred colts and fillies, the former usually gelded. The Kentucky Derby takes place on the first Saturday in May.
Breeder’s Cup Classic
On the last Saturday in October, or the first Saturday in November, fourteen horses run a 1.25 mile track for a $6 million pool, though the location is different every year. Unusually, three years is the minimum age for a horse in this race, rather than the exact age the horse must be. The most popular location for this race is Santa Anita Park in California, which has hosted it nine times since its inception in 1984.
In Baltimore, Maryland, and Pimlico race course on the third Saturday in May, 14 horses compete on a relatively short track. It’s 1 and 3/16ths of a mile, around 110 yards shorter than the Kentucky Derby. The prize pool fluctuates, though is consistently between $1 million and $1.5 million.
This race combines with Preakness and the Kentucky Derby to form the trifecta known as the US Triple Crown. The prize purse is $1.5 million, and the race is run by 16 horses — three year old colts and fillies.
How to choose
Our experts look at a range of factors to ensure they pick the best Michigan online horse racing sites for you. This starts with looking for state-specific benefits before reviewing every platform carefully across various areas. We also compared every horse racing betting site we review with other top operators to ensure we only recommend the best. We highlight parts of our review process below:
Is online horse betting legal in Michigan?
Every state in the US has different betting laws, so let’s get to the dirt: Is online horse betting legal in Michigan? Yes.
Pari-mutuel horse racing betting Michigan is legal and has been available since 1933. Current regulations are based on the Horse Racing Law of 1995, which gives the Michigan Gaming Control Board regulatory power. The Board oversees pari-mutuel betting at the state’s only horse racing track, and licenses online horse racing betting sites. Here are some of the key laws you need to follow while placing pari-mutuel wagers in MI.
- You must be 18 or older to place retail bets.
- You must be within Michigan’s borders.
- You must use a horse racing betting site licensed by the Michigan Gaming Control Board or visit a licensed betting location.
- You must follow the minimum age requirements of the horse racing betting site you are using (Some ask players to be 21 or older, and it’s usually the case with US online gambling of any kind).
What are the best MI horse racing betting sites?
The best horse racing betting sites MI are TVG, TwinSpires, and NYRA Bets. The best racing betting sites Michigan provide welcome bonuses for new players to welcome you straight to the action. You’ll also find features like live streaming, expert tips, and regular promotions.
Is horse racing betting legal in Michigan?
Yes, horse racing betting Michigan is legal. Pari-mutuel has been available since 1933, and the Michigan Gaming Control Board oversees all betting. You must be 18 or older if you want to bet in MI, and you need to allow your horse racing betting platform to access your geolocation services. Alternatively, you can visit the Northville Downs to place bets on live or simulcast races. Online betting is often 21+ only.
What horse racing events can I bet on in Michigan?
You can bet on horse racing events all over the US and the world using Michigan horse racing betting sites. These include major races like the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes. In addition, you’ll also be able to find odds for races run at Northville Downs, MI. If you visit this racetrack, you can be on simulcast races as well as live events.
Is MI horse betting safe?
Yes, MI horse racing betting is safe. Every betting site licensed by the Michigan Gaming Control Board is put through strict tests of its security measures to ensure players are safe. In addition, the Control Board also checks the betting facilities at Northville Downs. You can sign up with the top horse racing betting sites Michigan, which are all legal and licensed spots.